Saturday, March 10, 2012

On to London

Today started out good. We met up with a friend in Toronto for lunch that we haven't seen in ages. It was a very nice visit - Erin, you seriously need to come out to visit. We would love to have you!

Then we got to the airport and hung out in the Maple Leaf lounge. Now that I've seen how the "other side" lives, I don't think I will ever be able to forget the free food and drinks, comfy leather chairs, and free magazines. Mike, this trip has just made all future travel much more expensive.

I had to buy a new shirt while there, as the one I had been wearing for the previous 30 hours was starting to smell less than fresh (even though Erin was amazing and brought me some deodorant. Thank you, thank you, thank you!). Sophie chose me a black shirt that says Canada in gaudy sparkly jewels. At least it doesn't stink :)

We had a bit of an issue boarding the plane. They gave us three business class seats, but infants are not allowed to sit in a pod on their own. They offered to put us back in economy so that we could each have our own chair, or they would have to take away one of our seats in business and put Josie on my lap. Not wanting to give up the perks of business class, I chose to give up one seat and have Josie on my lap. I figured that the free booze, many extra perks, and chairs that turn into beds would make up for Josie being on my lap. I would later come to regret that decision (but I'll get to that part in a bit).

The flight to London started out nice. Josie and Sophie both fell asleep before take-off again; I had a nice glass of wine, started watching a movie (Johnny English - unfortunately not very funny) and enjoyed the ridiculously cool pod chair.

About an hour in to the flight, Sophie woke up crying. She climbed into my pod with me, waking up Josie. I managed to get that taken care of more quickly than I expected, and got Sophie set up in her pod with a movie and snack. This sense of accomplishment did not last long.

Shortly after, Josie had a pee that was so powerful it didn't have time to absorb into her diaper. Those of you with children will understand the implications, but for everyone else: she peed all over my lap.

Four hours left, and I am covered in pee, with no other clothes to change into.

I'm starting to doubt we will survive this trip.

**********************************************

One hour later: I smell like an outhouse, but the girls are well. Sophie is watching A Bug Life, Josie is watching The Wiggles.

I'm trying to look at the bright side, though. I will have no choice but to go shopping when we get to London, as I do not plan on spending the next 15 hours smelling like urine. I might have to buy new shoes, as well, depending on the pants. I don't want to look silly after all. I might end up with a whole new outfit before we make it to Las Palmas.

**********************************************

We're now making our descent. There was a bit of turbulence for about 15 minutes, but the kids handled it well. The kids didn't sleep at all for the rest of the flight, which means I didn't sleep. We still have 14 hours of traveling left. I really hope they sleep on the flight to Madrid - if they're not worn out after the 6 hour layover in London, I may smother them. Or just myself.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I feel for you! Happy Shopping, and I hope the rest of your travels go much smoother! The kids have to sleep eventually....

    ReplyDelete